20 cosas que no hay que hacer (inglés)

Mr_TwinFlat

Curveando
He encontrado esto sobre 20 puntos que no hay que hacer a una bmw clasica. Está en inglés haber si alguno se entera mejor yo... ;)

Top 20 things not to do to your BMW motorcycle

by Duane Ausherman

This is a collection of ideas and tips offered up on Boxerworks. I am only posting them and claim no credit, but I must admit that I agree totally. I have edited them for clarity and completeness. In some cases I have added a photo or link to more information about this issue. This list in not in any order of importance, it is just a list. Note, this list is often in the top 10 pages visited, so somebody is reading it.

1. Do not over tighten the axle nut. Do not use the axle nut to pull the axle through.

2. Do not turn your forks while the key is inserted into the fork lock. Do not leave your key in the steering lock whilst maneuvering your bike in the garage! Do Not... Attempt to ride off with the steering lock engaged. Avoid having to do this procedure.

3. Do not tighten the center valve cover nut. Just beyond finger tight is enough. You will regret tightening it to what seems proper.

4. Do not step on the "tang" to use your center stand.

5. /5 and later, Do not over tighten the nut on the end of the camshaft where the ignition advance unit goes. The end snaps off easily and you will need to buy a tool from Paul.

6. Do not forget to clean and grease your center stand pivot bolts annually. Replace the bolts periodically. They can deteriorate and may break.

7. Do not forget to remove your tank and flush it annually. Change your fuel hoses periodically. These two steps (Every two years or 30000 ks???) may help prevent the leaking carb syndrome. This may help you to decide about fuel filters.

8. Take your clutch arm pivot pin out on back tranny cover and replace it with a bolt and nylock nut before your pin falls halfway out and breaks off your cast aluminum bosses on back of the /6 tranny cover. That sucks.

9. Do not forget to take the negative battery cable off when removing the front cover. Check for grease.

10. Do not fill the engine sump with oil before you re-install the drain plug.

11. Don't let the points wire get pinched when you replace the front cover, or the ignition won't work.

12. Always keep air pressure in tires at close to proper psi. Within a few psi at most.

13. Don't start your bike with the Allen wrench still in the alternator bolt from the valve adjustment.

14. Don't check your compression with the throttle locked pen with the cruise control, and then get busy cleaning your bike, doing other things for a while, and then start the engine. Very dumb.

15. Do not pull out without first raising your kickstand.

16. Do not over tighten bolts. See #3 above.

17. Do Not... Ride away without checking that you've tightened the axle pinch bolts... or caliper mounting bolts...

18. Do not forget to check all fasteners after doing any work. Take if for a test ride.

19. Do Not ever say "I'll just do this little 5 minute job before I go for a ride"... The 5 minute job is guaranteed to take 5 hours.

Last, but not least, not from me
20. Do Not ever contradict or misquote Duane on the Boxerworks Phorum... Not if you don't like your eyebrows singed anyway:)

Some suggestions, in addition to the top 20

The dental floss master cylinder overhaul tip, its for getting the rubber seal over the end of the m/c piston. Make 2 loops of floss [a floss/seal/floss daisy chain] and use the floss to stretch the seal out/over the piston then cut the floss and remove. Makes a difficult job very simple and quick.

Over tightening sump bolts etc etc

Don't mix up the long and short drive shaft bolts

Block the crank so it can't move forward for rear seal replacement.

Don't leave the ignition on without starting.

Don't think you have to make your bike look showroom new. Let it age.

Play nicely with others, even if it means waving to the Harley riders.

Don't use a 1 ft. long wrench with an added 2 ft. breaker bar to tighten the 4 driveshaft bolts to the transmission output shaft.......huh, Magoo? :-

Do not mix up the rear caliper mounting bolts

Do not stop without putting your foot down.

Do not spit while moving (esp. with wife riding pillion).

Do Not post threads in any way, even vaguely, at all, political in content on the Boxerworks Phorum.

DO NOT Mention the 'S' word. "S" stands for silicone. Inside joke on Boxerworks.com

More BMW info

Home page

Me gusta la sugerencia que dice "Dejad que vuestras motos envejezcan" parece un mensje bíblico.

Saludos

C...ño :eek:, uno que se ha enterado...haber haber, cuentanos....que mi inglés oslo ha pillado cuatro cosas como no dejase la llavde puesta en tornillo dle alterador al arrancar el motor, lo de apretar determinados tornillos y algo mas...

Yo tampoco lo comprendo todo. Hay mucho lenguaje técnico que no entendería ni en español. Por otra parte, muchas de las recomendaciones son bastante chorras, en plan de broma. Eso sí, a mí también me ha gustado la frase que dice Henri: "No creáis que debéis que mantener vuestra moto de exposición. Dejadla envejecer".